Steam disk writes error is seen while trying to download and install or update your installed game from Steam. Steam is the biggest gaming website from where you can download and install any games on your PC here; you will find both premium and free games for your Windows PC.
Like mentioned, this error is faced while downloading or updating games from Steam. There can be many reasons to face this error, like defects in the system hard drive, antivirus blocking to save data from Steam, and much more.
Here we are going to know why you need to face this error and also how you can fix the Steam Disk Write Error on your PC. There are different methods which you need to follow to get rid of this error, as there can be many reasons for which you need to face a steam disk write error.
So, let’s have a look broadly at how to fix the Steam disk write error and also the reasons why this error happens.
Why does Steam Disk Write error happen?
Well, this issue only comes when Steam finds any error in downloading the game data on your PC storage and saves it. So, this error always indicates something with the hard drive of your computer. Other than that, this error can also occur because the data or the drive is write-protected, or you can also see if there are any corrupted files in the steam directory.
If all of the above mentioned are working well, then you may also check your antivirus software, as sometimes antivirus also doesn’t allow some files to download on the system. And if you are not using any third-party antivirus software on your PC, then always check out the Firewall of Windows and retry again. So, these are all the reasons why the Steam Disk Write error can occur on your PC.
Methods to Fix Steam Disk Write Error:
Method 1: Clearing Download cache of Steam:
The first thing you can do is clear the download cache of Steam, as it will clear all the unwanted files from the cache log and will automatically replace them with the new one. Have a look at how you can clear the cache of Steam.
Open the Steam software on your PC and then go to “Settings.” Now click on the “Downloads” button, and from the drop-down, select “Clear Cache,” and you are all done with the clearing cache procedure. After this method, close and reopen Steam and try downloading or updating again; if it starts downloading without any error, it’s solved. If not, follow other methods given below.
Method 2: Try restarting Steam and PC:
If the first method doesn’t work for you, you can also try restarting everything once, as sometimes the error is solved by simply restarting the tool or system.
- First of all, you will need to quit or exit the Steam. For that, click on the “Steam” in the top left corner of the window.
- This will bring a drop-down menu on the screen, so simply click on the “Exit/Quit” button. After Steam is killed, now reopen the tool and if it asked for a re-login, then login with the credentials and check if the error is still there or not.
- If killing Steam didn’t work for you. Simply “Shut Down / Restart” your system and again check if the error is solved or not.
Most of the time, the error is solved following these basic methods. If not, you can obviously follow the core methods to get rid of this error.
Method 3: Try Reinstalling Steam:
- First of all, Kill the Steam and then move all the steam app files outside C drive to keep all the downloaded games safe on your PC.
- Now follow the simple uninstallation method of uninstalling tools from windows PC. That is, go to “Control panel” and search for the “Steam” tools in the list of software.
- Once found, click on the software icon and click on the “Uninstall” button. This will take a few seconds to get uninstalled from the PC.
- After the uninstallation process is done, click on the “Finish” button, and you are done.
- Now before reinstalling Steam again on your system, we suggest you get your PC restarted to stay on a safer side.
- After restarting the computer, go to the Steam website.
- On the website, click on the “Install Steam” option in the top right corner of the webpage.
- This will open a new webpage; simply click on the “Install steam for Windows,” and the tools will start downloading and automatically install themselves on your PC.
- Once the installation process is done successfully, check if the error is still there or not.
These are the methods for uninstalling and reinstalling the Steam tool on your PC again. This method also solves the error most of the time.
Method 4: Remove Write Protection:
Basically, if it is write-protected, then you are not able to modify the program, let it be to download, formatting or installing a new program. So, this can also be one of the reasons that you are getting a Steam Disk Write error. So, to remove write protection from Steam follow the below-given steps.
- To proceed with this method, you have to work with the command prompt window. In an open desktop, type “Win + R” this will open a dialog box, again type “cmd” this will open the command prompt window on your desktop.
- Now write “diskpart” and click on the Enter button.
- Under the Diskpart program, write “list disk” and click on the Enter Button.
- Again Write “Select disk 0” (don’t forget to replace the 0 with the write-protected device number). After typing this new action, click Enter. Now enter new action “attributes disk clear read-only.”
- Finally, write “Exit” and click on the Enter button.
Now close the Command Prompt window and restart your PC and then try your Steam again and check if you are still seeing the error or not. But while following these above-given steps, you should at least understand the primary program language. If you are not professional at it, then it will be best if you ask any professional to do it for you. A single mistake can even harm your PC, so why take a risk if you can take precautions.
Method 5: Verifying Game Files:
Verifying the integrity of the game is an essential method, and this can also be one of the reasons why you are facing the Disk write error. This method is basically checking if there is any corrupt file of the game or files deleted by mistake by your antivirus/malware. Have a look at how you verify integrity game files.
- Restart your PC and open the Steam tool on your PC.
- Now go to the “Library” section and then search for the game which has been sending the error. Right-click on the game and then click on the Properties.
- Now under “Properties” of the game, go to the Local Files and then click on the “Verify integrity of game files.” It will now start verifying all the game file one after another, and this may take some time.
- Some of the files might not get verified, which is expected as those files are local config files. Once the Verifying is done, you can try reinstalling the updates of your game and check if the error is still there or not.
If the central issue of the error is because of the game files, then the issue will get resolved as soon as the verifying program is done, and you can install all the necessary updates again.
Method 6: Running Flushconfig to Steam
- First of all, if Steam is open on your computer, exit/quit Steam and then enter Win + R in an open desktop.
- Now copy “steam://flushconfig” and paste in the Run window and click OK to enter the program.
- This will open another dialog box of Steam; simply enter the OK button again to run the flush program.
- After the flushing is done, restart your PC, and then after restarting again, enter Win + R in an open desktop and enter the following “%ProgramFiles(x86)%”
- On running this program, it will take you to files where you have to find the Steam folder. Enter the Steam folder and search for the Steam application file. Now enter the application and update your games.
Now check if the Steam Disk write error is gone or not.
These are the methods you have to run through to eliminate the annoying Steam Disk write error. As this error cause can be anything so, if you face this issue, we will suggest you try to run every method mentioned above in this content. All of these methods are easy, and you also don’t need to use any third-party tools to follow any kind of method. But make sure, if you are a noob in technical terms of computer, then you must get all the methods done by some professional guys. The Steam Disk Write Error is easy to solve the error, and you don’t have to worry. Happy gaming.